Since the State Government’s Restricted Activities Direction were put in place on Tuesday 12 May at 11:59pm, Hockey Victoria (HV) have worked with Sport & Recreation Victoria and other relevant stakeholders to put in place the measures that would enable modified hockey activities to resume. HV’s Return to Hockey Guidelines were issued to all affiliates on Thursday 14 May, paving the way for the affiliates to resume operations.
Since then, a dozen or so affiliates have completed the necessary steps as required and are starting to re-engage their members in a safe manner, sticking to the current restrictions guidelines. Hockey Victoria is positive about the prospects of further restrictions eased in the coming weeks to allow larger groups to train together and potential for game-based drills to occur.
While the clubs are returning to modified hockey activities, HV have finalised some of the key elements of what the 2020 hockey season may look like. The key features of the developments that have been announced to the affiliates on Thursday, 21 May, are:
- Competition structure finalised for:
- a 3-month season scenario (HV’s preferred scenario subject to further lifting of restrictions); and
- a 2-month season scenario (minimum period required to deliver a viable competition)
- under both of these options season would conclude no later than 31 October, with HV hopeful that 2020 season can get underway in the weeks after the July School Holidays.
- Team Entry Fees for 2020 season have been reduced.
- Payment Schedule for Team Entry Fees for 2020 season will be introduced to allow clubs to manage their cashflow and stagger their fee collection schedule from their members.
- Confirmation of up to 3 weeks of lead-in time to commencement of season from the date when AIS LEVEL C (or equivalent) is enacted in Victoria.
- 15% reduction in HV Individual Levy Fees for all participants.
For further details on all of the elements outlined above, please see the details on this link.
Please note that both AFL & Cricket have come to an agreement that AFL Finals will be played in October 2020 (Senior finals 17 & 18 October). Premier League cricket will commence on 10 October.
HV will now turn its focus on rule changes to fit the modified competition structure and ensure safety of all participants. In the meantime, we would encourage all hockey participants to read their club’s guidelines and adhere to all directions. Participants can also visit Hockey Victoria’s webpage specifically introduced for individuals, where they can find the key information relating to what to do to ensure their own safety as well as the safety of the hockey community.
With these recent developments and announcements regarding the competition structure, Hockey Victoria will be re-opening Individual Registrations on Monday 25 May 2020. More information will be available over the coming days. Anyone returning to hockey activities is encouraged to register and pay their HV fees to ensure they are covered for Personal Accident insurance.