Hockey Victoria has continued to monitor all advice and guidelines released by the Victorian Government, health authorities and Sport and Recreation Victoria. Approximately three weeks ago, we announced season start dates for all HV Competitions.
Today Hockey Victoria would like to announce that nominations will re-open for the 2020 Junior State Championships, with trials currently scheduled to take place in late July and early August. The JSC would then take place in the Term 3 School Holidays from Monday 28th September to Wednesday 30th September.
It was our intention to have the vast majority of our Zone teams’ trial on the weekend of the 25th and 26th July. But, with the Victorian Government announcing that a number of Victorian postcodes will be placed into lockdown until the 29th July, some changes have had to be made to allow the three impacted Zones to conduct their trials one week later, on Sunday 2nd August (further details available below).
Further to that, with announcement today that the Victoria and New South Wales border will close from midnight tomorrow night, HV will not be able to hold the North East Knights trials on the last weekend in July in Albury as originally planned. Hockey Victoria will work closely with the Zone Coordinator to consider alternate options for the Knights and make a further announcement in relation to this prior to the end of this week.
HV would like to acknowledge those people that reside within one of the postcodes that have been placed into lockdown. We certainly look forward to you being able to get back out on a hockey pitch, but please stay home and stay safe in the meantime.
HV would like to highlight the following important information about the decision to re-open nominations and schedule trials:
- It is our strong desire to see the 2020 JSC proceed and if it is going to be held in the Term 3 holidays (which was earlier identified as the only viable date for it to be held), it is necessary to have teams selected by late July/early August. As such, we need to re-open nominations at this time and schedule trials.
- HV would like to acknowledge that there may be people that disagree with the decision to re-open nominations and schedule trials, we also realise that some people may not feel comfortable participating this year and will opt not to nominate which we are understanding of.
- When nominations close for the majority of Zones, at 5.00pm Wednesday 22nd July HV will conduct an assessment of the following:
- The current state of restrictions within Victoria, the current state of the Victorian and NSW border closure and any advice that is being issued by the Victorian Government and other relevant health authorities to determine if the trials can go ahead.
- HV would the assess the total number of nominations per team within each Zone to determine which teams would be required to conduct a trial in order to select a team. Only where numbers dictate that a trial is necessary would one be run. Where there are insufficient numbers to warrant a trial, nominees would not be required to attend a trial.
- Should, as part of this assessment on 22nd July HV determine that the trials cannot proceed, they will be cancelled and so to will the 2020 Junior State Championships.
- If this was determined to be a necessary measure, HV would issue further advice at that time about refunds of payer nomination fees.
Further Key Information about the 2020 JSC:
- As previously indicated (please click here) to view the statement that was released on 28th May), the event will be reduced to 3 days and will run during the Term 3 school holidays from Monday 28th September through to Wednesday 30th September.
- It is necessary for the Event to take place during the week because at that stage of the year there will still be Competitions running on weekends.
- Dependent on the final number of teams we have participating the event is likely to run at 3 venues (Hawthorn Malvern Hockey Centre, Footscray Hockey Centre and Essendon Hockey Centre).
- Under the proposed 3 venue model, an age group (boys’ and girls’ teams) would likely be based at a particular venue for the full 3 days of the JSC. This is necessary to both assist us in reducing the total number of people in attendance at each venue, but also to ensure we can complete the Event in 3 days.
- The venues will be confirmed as we get a clearer picture of how many players have nominated and our likely number of teams participating.
- The majority of trials will take place on the weekend of 25th/26th July (or 2nd August for the three Zones impacted by the postcode lockdowns). There will be one trial for all Zones and the nomination links and further information about trials for all Zones can be found through those links.
- Further information about the North East Knights trials will be released in the coming days, once HV have had time to work through the information released about the NSW border closure and consider alternate options.
- Selected teams will be announced late afternoon/early evening on Monday 27th July for the Zones trialling on the weekend of 25th/26th For Zones trialling on Sunday 2nd August, teams will be announced late afternoon/early evening late afternoon/early evening Monday 3rd August.
- Hockey Victoria will reduce the player participation fees that were originally advertised for 2020 by just over 20% for both Metropolitan and Regional participants.
- Nominations fees will remain as they were originally advertised. Further information is available on your Zone nomination page.
- All Zone teams will complete a maximum of 6 hours training in the lead up to the event, this is a reduction in training time and total commitments required to participate.
- There will be significantly heightened health and hygiene measures implemented at all trials, training and the Event itself. Further details will be provided in advance of each commitment.
We certainly recognise that there is an evolving situation at hand, so we will continue to monitor all relevant information released by the Victorian Government and the health authorities. Some further points we want to highlight at this time:
- We place the health and safety of all involved as the highest priority and there will be strict guidelines in place to ensure every effort is made to make this a reality. We ask that everyone involved plays their part in helping making this happen so we can deliver a successful 2020 JSC for all involved.
- Current restrictions dictate that a limited number of spectators can be in attendance at venues for trials, training and the Event itself. We will continue to monitor the information released by the State Government and clearly communicate the requirements in advance of trials, training and the Event itself.
- We will also work with Sport and Recreation Victoria to ensure they are comfortable with all health and hygiene measures that we are putting in place for the Event.
Important information about Player, Coach and Officials Nominations
- If you have already nominated, you are not required to nominate again as we still have your nomination in the system
- If you have yet to nominate, by the deadline outlined in the table below.
- If you are unsure if you have nominated, please complete a search for the confirmation email on the email account that the player is registered with (noting that you can only nominate if you have purchased your 2020.
- If you have nominated and can no longer participate in the event, please email your Zone Coordinator to inform them. Their contact details can be viewed by clicking here.
- If you live in one of the postcodes that is under Victorian Government lockdown restrictions and trialling for a Zone OTHER THAN the Red Devils, Wildcats or Tigers, please email your Zone Coordinator to inform them at your earliest convenience.
- If you are trialling for the Red Devils, Wildcats or Tigers and live in a postcode under Victorian Government lockdown restrictions until 29th July, your trial has been shifted back to Sunday 2nd
- If you are nominating for the North East Knights, we will release further information by the end of this week for you, as today’s announcement to close the Victorian and NSW border will impact our trial plans for your Zone.
Please click on the relevant link below for further information about trials for your Zone:
- If you have already nominated, you are not required to nominate again as we still have your nomination in the system.
- If you have yet to nominate, you must do so by 00pm on Wednesday 22nd July.
- If you have nominated and can no longer wish to be considered for a coaching position, please email your Zone Coordinator before the above deadline to inform them. Their contact details can be viewed by clicking here.
|Role||Coach Nomination Link||Coach Nomination Closing Date|
|Metro Coaches||https://form.jotform.com/hockeyvictoria/2020-jsc-metro-coaches||5.00pm Wed 22nd July|
|Regional Coaches||https://form.jotform.com/hockeyvictoria/2020-jsc-regional-coach||5.00pm Wed 22nd July|
OFFICIALS (UMPIRES, TECHNICAL OFFICIALS, TOURNAMENT DIRECTORS, UMPIRE MANAGERS & UMPIRE COACHES)
- Further details relating to officiating at the Junior State Championships can be viewed by clicking here
- Even if you had previously submitted an expression of interest to be involved in the JSC, we ask that ALL officials please nominate again to ensure that we are able to collect accurate availability information from you.
- Officials nominations must be completed by 00pm on Wednesday 5th August.
- If you have any further queries about officiating at the JSC at this stage please email Ben Seccull (email@example.com) prior to the above deadline.
|Role||Officiating Nomination Link||Nomination Closing Date|
|Tournament Director||https://form.jotform.com/hockeyvictoria/2020-outdoor-events-TD-ATD||5.00pm Wed 5th August|
|Umpire Manager & Umpire Coach||https://form.jotform.com/hockeyvictoria/2020-outdoor-events-UM-AUM-UC||5.00pm Wed 5th August|
|Umpire||https://form.jotform.com/hockeyvictoria/2020-outdoor-events-umpire-EOI||5.00pm Wed 5th August|
|Technical Official||https://form.jotform.com/hockeyvictoria/2020-jsc-tech-official-availability||5.00pm Wed 5th August|
2021 Junior State Championships – Update
HV is also pleased to announce that we have now reached an agreement with both Greater Shepparton City Council and City of Greater Bendigo for next years event to be hosted in those locations. We are incredibly thankful for the understanding and cooperation that both of the Councils and Goulburn Valley Hockey Association and Hockey Central Vic have shown during this difficult period.
We look forward to bringing the 2021 Junior State Championships to regional Victoria, back in the traditional Term 2 school holidays.
We encourage you to continue to check the Junior State Championships page of the Hockey Victoria website for further information over the coming weeks.
Should you have any further queries at this stage, please contact your Zone Coordinator in the first instance (click here for contact details). If they cannot be of assistance, please get in touch with Events & Indoor Hockey Manager, Ben Seccull (firstname.lastname@example.org).